Tuesday, October 7, 2008

This has been a weekend of flashbacks.

So many times, my memories were flooded with a wedding 35 years ago. As friends and family joined us this weekend, I found myself reflecting on so many events of the past years.

I have had a wonderful life.

Oh, there were many peaks and valleys, and far too many ditches I ran into on the road, but I have loved living my life.

As I sat quietly this morning, sitting here in the room with nothing but the sound of Nancy’s gentle breathing as she slept, I drifted back over the years and thought of all the great times, great friends, and even spent a little time going over some of the bad things that we went through.

But we muddled through them, and came out stronger. As we faced each crisis and went through that fire, our bonds of love were forged and strengthened, as were friendships.

It is good every once in a while to think of the past, remembering where you came from and what you went through, as long as you can do it with some honesty. I face the reality that so many times, sheer luck and the grace of God were all that kept me from being just another statistic, that many decisions that seem so wise today were impulsive and not very smart, again…just luck.

I look back at the many things that shaped my faith and gave me courage. I see the ‘footprints in the sand’. Sometimes there were many footprints, as the Angels walked with me, apparently shielding me from my own stupidity.

In these days of doom and gloom, constant crisis and fear, it is good to look back. Think about how many times you thought you were facing the biggest crisis in your life… and yet here you are today and that event doesn’t quite look so bad. How many of those times are you now seeing as blessings instead, since they threw you on a slightly different path?

It’s a simple phrase, but sums it up: Life is good.

I find a song and kick back to enjoy: The Beatles

In My Life


There are places I'll remember
All my life though some have changed
Some forever not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All these places have their moments
With lovers and friends i still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life I've loved them all
But of all these friends and lovers
There is no one compares with you
And these memories lose their meaning
When i think of love as something new
Though i know I'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I'll often stop and think about them
In my life i love you more
Though i know I'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I'll often stop and think about them
In my life i love you more
In my life i love you more

No comments: